If you`re thinking about adopting a pet, Petfinder is a great resource to start your search. With over 300,000 adoptable pets on their website, it`s easy to find the perfect furry friend for your home. However, before you bring your new companion home, there is one important document you`ll need to review and sign: the Petfinder adoption agreement.
The adoption agreement is a legal contract between you and the animal shelter or rescue group where you found your pet. It outlines the terms and conditions of the adoption, including the responsibilities of both parties. Here are some of the most important elements of the Petfinder adoption agreement that you should be aware of:
1. Adoption fee: This is the amount that you`ll pay to the shelter or rescue group for adopting your pet. The fee varies by organization and can range from a few hundred dollars to over $1,000. It`s important to understand what`s included in the adoption fee (such as vaccinations, spaying/neutering, and microchipping) so you know what additional costs you may incur.
2. Return policy: While we hope that every adoption is a success, there are times when the pet and the adopter are not a good match. The adoption agreement should outline the process for returning the pet to the shelter or rescue group if necessary. This may include a time limit on returns, a requirement to notify the organization in advance, or a fee for the return.
3. Health guarantee: Most organizations will provide a basic health guarantee for newly adopted pets. This may include a period of time during which you can take the pet to the vet for a check-up, as well as coverage for any medical issues that arise within a certain timeframe after adoption. Be sure to read the fine print on this section of the agreement to understand what`s covered and what`s not.
4. Pet care obligations: As the adopter, you`ll be responsible for providing proper care for your pet. The adoption agreement may outline some of the specific obligations that you`ll need to meet, such as providing regular veterinary care, keeping the pet up-to-date on vaccinations, and providing proper nutrition and exercise.
5. Liability and indemnification: This section of the agreement outlines the legal responsibilities of both parties in case of injury or damage caused by the pet. It`s important to understand your liability as the adopter, as well as any protections that the organization may provide.
Before signing the Petfinder adoption agreement, be sure to read it carefully and ask any questions you may have. You`ll be entering into a legal contract, and it`s important to understand your responsibilities as the adopter. With a little bit of research and preparation, you`ll be able to give your new pet a happy and healthy forever home!